Signs of End Times
Pr. Sunny Kurian
The horizons of reason and philosophy are diminishing. Science and nations are being defeated. There are signs in the sky. There are also signs in the ocean. All nations and rulers in the earth are bewildered with disappointment wondering about the future events. Human hearts are very anxious about the future of this world.
If we ask a political observer as to what would be the next greatest event on earth, he may give a political answer. If we ask the same question to a scientist, he may give a scientific answer. But if we ask this question to a pious Christian, he or she would answer in the light of the Bible that Jesus would return and His holy church would be raptured. Therefore the only answer to the question, “What is the next greatest event on earth?” is nothing else other than, “Jesus will return soon and His church will be with Him.”
The second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ is the hope of the Christian Church. This hope is known in the word of God as “blessed hope” (Titus 2:12), “living hope” (1 pet.1:3), “Hope which is the anchor of the Spirit” (Hebrew 6:19), “Better hope” (Hebrew 7:19), “The hope that is stored up in heaven”( Col.1:3) and the “ hope of glory” ( Col.1:27).
There are six testimonies for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
1. Prophets – they have prophesied more of the second coming of the Messiah than they prophesied on the suffering of Jesus Christ.
2. Jesus Christ – during His earthly life Jesus had spoken in detail about His second coming and the rapture of His church (John 14:-13).
3. The testimony of the angels – they made the testimony about the second coming of Jesus at the time of His ascension. (Acts.1:10-11).
4. Apostles – they have all given great importance in their letters to write about the second coming of Jesus Christ. Paul was first among them (1 Thes. 4:16,17).
5. The church – The church has been testifying about the second coming of Jesus from its beginning till the present time and will continue the same in future till the second coming actually takes place.
6. The creation - all the creation is eagerly waiting for the revelation of the sons of God. The creation hopes that it will be liberated from its bondage with the second coming of Jesus Christ (Rom.8: 20).
Jesus had given clear answer to the questions the disciples asked his concerning His second coming. Mathew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 are the passages where we read concerning the end times and the signs of His second coming.
The end time signs
1. It would be a period similar to the times of Noah and Lot. (Luke 17:21-34, Matthew 24:37-39, Gen.6: 5,11).
2. Hypocrisy ( 2 Tim. 3;1-5, Matthew 24:12). The immorality, loss of values in life, hypocrisy and so on are the signs of the second coming of Christ.
3. The coming of the scoffers ( 2 Pet. 3:3-4).
4. Apostasy ( 1 Tim. 4:1, 2 Tim. 4:3-4).
5. The extensive Christian persecution ( Mark.13:9)
6. The spreading of the Gospel (Mark 13:10).
7. The branches of the fig tree becomes tender (Matthew 24:32-33).
9. Earthquakes - since the 18th century millions of people were killed by earthquakes. After every year the intensity and the number of the earthquakes increase.
10. Contagious diseases – new diseases are appearing. Medical science fails. New viruses are appearing which cannot be prevented by the medical science.
11. Unemployment (Isaiah 19:8-9).
12. Knowledge increases (Daniel 12:4).
13. Hoarding of wealth and money (James 5:1-3).
14. Democratic governments ( Daniel 2:43)
15. Worries about life needs (Luke 21:34).
16. Wars and rumors or war- Hitherto millions of people were killed during the past wars. 85 lakhs in the First World War and 520 lakhs in the Second World War were killed.
17. The invention of air planes ( Isaiah 60:8;31:5; Jer.48:40).
18. The invention of television (Rev.19:9-10).
19. The space journey (Amos 9:2; Obadiah 4).
20. The growth of all nations (Luke 21:29).
21. Rain in the spring time (Zech.10:1; James 5:7-8).
On the day of Pentecost God sent the spring time rain or early rain of Holy Spirit. The wide spread pouring out of the Holy Spirit from 1901 is described as the latter rain by the Bible scholars. Now the harvest time is approaching. It means the second coming of Jesus and the rapture of the church.
“Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.” (2 Pet. 3:11-13).
We will reign in eternity with the eternal God. How blessed a state it is! Therefore let’s live with holiness and piety. Let’s wait for our Lord. Maranatha!